Thursday, September 30, 2010

ColorQing My Mojo


Since I'm really enjoying (aka addicted to) making circle cards lately, I chose to go with the round version of this week's Mojo sketch.  For some reason, a snowflake came to mind when I saw the circle in the sketch!  Not sure why because we are having simply glorious weather right now!!  Warm temps and lots of sunshine - a fabulous last kick at summer :) 

Since there were going to be snowflakes involved, and I didn't want to use my same old boring go to colour combo of navy, brocade blue and silver, so I decided to browse through some colour challenges to see if I could find something that spoke to me.  I ended up settling on this ColorQ mix as it looked like a fun colour combination to use on a snowflake card.

Two neutrals were a bit tricky at first, but a bit of fiddling and I think it worked out okay.  However, now that I look at my card, I should have added a white mat between the gray and vanilla layers and maybe embossed the vanilla layer as it looks a pit plain...darn hindsight LOL!  May have to go back and rework it a bit :)

A morning meeting and then off to go mow my lawn -- one of the drawbacks of having such warm, sunny weather this late in the Fall!  Also a great chance to clean out the garden for winter.  Thanks for dropping in today, it's always appreciated and sure helps knowing I'm not just talking to myself out here in blog land LOL!  Have a fabulous day :)




What's In It?
Stamps: Memory Box
Paper:  Basic Grey, Bashful Blue, Very Vanilla, White
Ink:  Black
Accessories:  Martha Stewart Snowflake Punch, Marvy Snowflake Punch, Circle and Scalloped Circle Nesties, Swiss Dots Embossing Folder, Bling, Dimensionals

11 comments:

Maureen said...

LOL, I know what you mean about the weather, Marisa...we are having record breaking weather here as well :) They say 29 for tomorrow!! We are happy that it's nice through the weekend as we want to do some hiking around Harrison :)

This card is perfect for the sketch AND you're getting a head start on your winter cards!! Always love the combo of white and blue...perfect for snowflakes :)

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous as always! So jealous of the weather you're having; autumn really here in the UK and the trees in my garden are bald already!x

Wanda Cullen said...

I adore circle cards and tend to shy away from them...am lovin' your adorable snowflake creation! I'm envious of your weather...it's POURING down rain all day today and has been raining off and on since Sunday! We did really need the moisture...just not all at once - lol!

Anonymous said...

Actually, I really love the plain vanilla, it really brings the centre image to the fore (but as you know I'm a bit of a CAS girl!)and the colour combination is beautiful.

Dawn B. said...

We got 20 inches of rain in the last 3 days.. It looks like a hay field in our front yard..:) This is so pretty. I love the blues.. I need to use my dies more..Love this.

Vickie Z said...

Okay... quit "shying" away from things!! LOL!! Snowflakes are perfect for the image in the pic and are wonderful as substitute for ribbon... love it!! YOU are embracing the circle cards and doing fine if I say so myself!!

Stacy Morgan said...

You sure do like the circle cards right now don't you. LOL Kidding... Very pretty and I like the layout with the circle style also.

Susan (rainy) said...

How wonderful to have some warm weather! Sounds like you are enjoying it. Your round snowflake card is beautiful. Love the dotted embossed background with it.

Kristina said...

Now that I look back at the sketch, it does look like a snowflake! LOVE how you translated that, and those colors are wonderful. I think the white/vanilla combo would have stumped me... A bit clashy in my mind... Probably better in real life. I love how you incorporated the two in completely different ways.

Talk about a last minute summer kick! I think summer finally ARRIVED down here. Seriously, for Jun-last week, we had the most mild, cool summer perhaps in history. 70s to 80s everyday. But them this week happened. Ugh, I hate the last summer kick. I'm so ready for fall and cooler weather. The warm, comfortable days, the cool nights.... The air with that slight "fall bite" to it. The leaves changing colors.... Soooo ready. :)

Unknown said...

What a totally fun and pretty holiday card! I just love it and also want to wish you a Happy World Card Making Day from Papercraft Star! We'd love to have you enter some of your talented projects in our challenges there. We're also having a DT call soon and there is still time to enter our PTI gift certificate drawing too! http://papercraftstar.blogspot.com/2010/09/another-gift-certificate-give-away-at.html

Kathy Jones said...

Beautiful Marisa!!! Love your take on the sketch and awesome job with these colours!!!