Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Happy Birthday Circle Card


I have been inspired by the multitude of amazing circle cards Michelle Woerner recently made on this post (as well as some following posts).  She is the queen of circle cards I tell you!!  Thanks for the inspiration, Michelle  :)


I used an old Just Add Ink colour challenge because I just love these colours together, and they were a good fit for my daughter.  It's her birthday tomorrow and she is growing up into such a beautiful young lady, both inside and out.  She has a huge heart, loves to help people, is very creative and artistic (why didn't I get more of those genes LOL!), describes things in the most amazing word pictures, and has a wonderfully, wicked sense of humour.  She stretches me in many ways as she is much more emotional than I am LOL!  I have to work hard at being able to relate to her when she gets overly emotional about things and make myself think of things from her perspective rather than my no-nonsense, just make-a-logical-decision-and-move-forward kind of perspective LOL!  Some of our "let's work through what's bothering you" conversations wear me out, but in the end, they are always worth it as she very much appreciates them.  Needless to say, I love her to bits and am so blessed to have her as my daughter :)

I am also very proud of her for accomplishing the Grouse Grind yesterday (see this post for details).  It was pouring, and I mean pouring rain the whole time we were driving to the Grind (not to mention how hard it rained over night) and I questioned my signing up to be a class parent on this trip LOL!  Thankfully, the rain eased to a drizzle as we got to the trail head.

It was a very misty and wet hike up the Grind with little streams of water all over the place (insert, soaking wet shoes, shirt and baseball hat), but everyone made it to the top and can now proudly say they have done The Grind :)  One boy in my daughter's class did it in 44 minutes which is an amazing time!!  Most kids clocked between 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes.  My poor little punkin had a hard go of it and it took her 2 hours and 15 minutes, but she pushed through and made it!  True to herself she came up with a few great comments along the way:  "I don't think I"ll be talking to Mrs. R (her teacher) for a few days for her making us do this", "There is no way I'm smiling for the picture because it wasn't fun" (they took a picture of everyone as they got to the top), and the kicker, "Even if daddy paid me $100 I wouldn't do this again!" LOL!  She was spent, but a real trooper and can now proudly say she has done "The Grind" :)

As Murphy's Law would have it, on the gondola ride down the sun was shining and the view of Vancouver was spectacular.  I would actually like to see what my time would be on my own so I may venture up there some time in the next year just to find out.  Failing that, I'll be doing it again in a few years when my son gets into that grade LOL!

Thanks for popping in today and sorry for all the rambling.  Just enjoying a proud mommy moment :)  Have a fabulous day!




What's In It?
Stamps: (Verve) Kind Words, Great Friend
Paper:  Pretty in Pink, Certainly Celery, Kraft, So Saffron DSP
Ink:  Black
Accessories:  Circle and Scalloped Circle Nesties, Swiss Dots Embossing Folder, Martha Stewart Leaf Punch, 5/8" Pink Satin Ribbon, Green Button, Twine, Glue Dot, Black Half Pearls, Dimensionals

16 comments:

Marilyn (stampwithMJ) said...

This is gorgeous! Great colors!

ChristineCreations said...

What a neat story about your daughter Marisa! And good for her for accomplishing it!

What a gorgeous card for her too, totally girly and sweet and special!

Christina said...

This is really fantastic, Marisa! The soft colors are so wonderful, and that flower is darling with the dotty paper and jeweled center. I really love this! I really should try a circle card someday.

So glad to hear you survived your hike, and even came back with some unforgettable mother/daughter moments! They really are a joy, aren't they? Hope she has a happy birthday!

Emily Keaton said...

You certainly deserve your proud mommy moment--and I don't think you did any rambling at all!! I loved reading about your lovely daughter and your shared triumph over the Grouse Grind. The card you made for her birthday is splendid. I love ALL of those colors, and you used them masterfully. Have a happy celebration day with her tomorrow :)

Maureen said...

gorgeous!!! wow!!! I love everything...the shape, the colours, the flower and that fabulous button and twine :) You really went all out on this one!! How are the legs? :)

Denise Marzec said...

DARLING circle card! Love the layered flower and the sweet colors. :)

Vickie Z said...

Love your circle card!! Colors, ribbon, flower- everything is wonderful!! WOW- I'm proud of both of you making The Grind!!

Benzi said...

Marisa, I am so glad you endured and made it on the Grouse Grind and came back to make a most beautiful card for your daughter. What a special relationship you two have. She is sure to love this card...may even shed a tear or two over it. It just couldn't be any prettier and your love for her shows in this creation.

Vicki Dutcher said...

What an adorable round card! The pink ribbon is so pretty with that killer bow!

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful card Marisa (as the one in the Post before and after!) Your daughter sounds delightful and you have every right to enjoy your proud moments. I think she gets her creativity and artistic talent from her mom; you amaze me very time I log on. xx

Colleen Dietrich said...

Well, you sure are entitled to the Proud Mommy Moment. That's, after all, why we signed up to be parents! Tell your daughter the Punchkateerz are proud of her, too.

Andrea Ewen said...

Super round card, Marisa! They're not easy to do as they are always just a little too small to add all the stuff I want to put on them! Yours is fabulous, love the colors! And congrats on the Grind...you should relish in your proud 'mommy moment'. After, of course, a couple a Advils...

Tosha Leyendekker said...

Oooo!! I love these colors Marisa!! This scalloped circle card is both gorgeous and charming!! WOW!

Stacy Morgan said...

Beautiful! I am sure she loved it. And coming from an *emotional* gal myself I appreciate the fact that you are a mom willing to listen and try to help her work things out. That in itself is what she needs even if you aren't as emotional. The listening and trying to understand is the most important! Big hugs from me on that one!!!

Michelle Woerner said...

This is STUNNING! I love the softness it has to it. I am sure your wonderful daughter loved it!

Hey, something weird happened to this post on my Google Reader. I saw it and then it was GONE! Anyway, your circle card posted today reminded me to scroll down and find this.

I am honored to be of some inspiration to you! Hugs,

Dawn B. said...

I love love love to hike.. We have so many beautiful trails here.. I may just MAKE my son and hubby go on one with me.. They do not like to hike.. This card is beautiful.. Way to go on THE Grind..to both mom and daughter.